Everyone loves coffee. Maybe not everyone, but 64 percent of Americans consume coffee daily. The other 36 percent? You can’t trust them.
Over 400 million cups of coffee are sipped in the U.S. daily. Our love for coffee runs so deep that according to a survey by HuffPost, more than half of all coffee consumers would rather skip a shower in the morning than skip their coffee.
Now, is that really love for coffee or more of an addiction to caffeine? To-may-to, To-mah-to. Who are we to judge?
And now, there is even more compelling evidence to suggest that our love for coffee might actually be a good thing. According to a study published just last week, data indicates that there might be a link between daily coffee consumption and a lower risk of death from any cause. Daily coffee was also associated with lower risks of cardiovascular disease.
*Takes a sip of coffee*
This study was no ordinary study either. Researchers followed nearly 450,000 participants for over a decade to collect that data that ultimately led researchers to conclude that mild to moderate intake of ground, instant, and decaffeinated coffee should be considered part of a healthy lifestyle.
Coffee’s health benefits depend greatly on how it’s made
So how much coffee counts as “moderate intake?” In the study, participants found drinking two to three cups of coffee each day had a significantly lower risk of cardiovascular disease and death than participants avoiding coffee.
Here are a few caveats before you pour yourself another cup of coffee. As much as we love coffee and this study, it is important to consider all the limitations. First off, correlation does not necessarily mean causation. While this study shows a promising link between coffee and longevity, there is still no evidence to show that coffee consumption actually protects from cardiovascular disease or death.
Second, this study is out of Europe, where coffee consumption is culturally very different than ours here in the U.S. Coffee drinkers in Europe take their coffee black more often than we do. While there might be some long-term benefits to moderate coffee consumption, there is nothing healthy about some of the coffee concoctions we drink here in the states. A grande (16 fl oz) Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks has 390 calories, 50 grams of carbs, and 14 grams of fat.
The key takeway? Don’t let anyone take the joy away from your morning cup of coffee. After all, you are just trying to optimize your health.
That said, skip the sugary dessert drinks masquerading as coffee, and keep the coffee consumption to a moderate quantity limited to the morning hours only.
**The Daily Tonic is a two to five minute read sharing science backed health news and tips, all while getting you to crack a smile or even lol on occasion. Click HERE to sign up today!**
11 CommentsLeave a Reply
Hiya very nice website!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally…I am glad to find a lot of helpful information here within the post, we want work out more techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing.
It is best to participate in a contest for the most effective blogs on the web. I will recommend this website!
I will right away clutch your rss as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please allow me recognise in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.
I’d have to examine with you here. Which is not one thing I usually do! I take pleasure in reading a post that may make folks think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to comment!
Admiring the hard work you put into your blog and in depth information you provide. It’s awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed material. Fantastic read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.
I like this blog so much, bookmarked. “To hold a pen is to be at war.” by Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire.
Thanks for every other informative blog. The place else may just I get that kind of info written in such an ideal approach? I’ve a challenge that I’m simply now working on, and I have been on the look out for such info.
Thank you for sharing with us, I think this website genuinely stands out : D.
Loving the information on this web site, you have done outstanding job on the articles.
I’m not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for great information I was looking for this information for my mission.
I like this site very much so much excellent information.